Sunday 27 March 2011

Red Velvet the sequel


 I had a go at making red velvet cupcakes last year as it seems to be a popular choice in America for wedding cakes, and they look so good!
Apparently the reason why the cakes originally had a red colour is because of a chemical reaction between the unprocessed cocoa powder and the buttermilk, which turned the cake batter into a redish brown colour.

My first attempt wasn't great the cake was dry, I could taste the bitter vinegar and the 'frosting' recipe that I used was really gross.

I decided to try a new recipe which although I would admit was better, it still wasn't something amazing. It just tastes like a cake with a little bit of cocoa powder in it. I made cream cheese icing this time, which is always a winner on nearly any cake, so it helped it taste much better.

Well hey at least they looked great!

















No comments:

Post a Comment